Monday, October 18, 2010

Wanting to Work at Oracle


I confess- I‘m a bit intrigued with rich people. So when I saw Fortune magazine’s list of the 25 highest paid men in the U.S., I naturally read it. I was pretty gob-smacked when I saw that 3 of them were from Oracle- to the collective tune of about $130 Million. Larry Ellison was No. 2 of the Top 25 making $70.1 Million last year. He missed out by $18 Million from a guy named Gregory Maffai of Liberty Media (never heard of him).

Back to Oracle; I started doing a little math on the 3 rich men- Ellison, Phillips and Kurian. I calculated a 50 hour work week for each as I’m sure they don’t punch in and out at 40 hours . These three rich wise men take in $49,500 per hour or $2.5 Million a week! I want this- I’ll even learn to write code. Mind you, you have to be really, really good because these costs go into the software you buy, but that’s a whole other story.

Being serious for a second, I’m sure they’re really trying to save customers money. Here’s an example: Mr. Ellison recently made a deal to save Oracle money just a few weeks ago. He hired on Mark Hurd as Co-President. You may recall my blog on HP a while back where Mr. Hurd was dismissed due to expense claims (and supposed but not proven dealings with a former female associate). Well, Mr. Hurd’s new package at Oracle for being co-President is $10 million plus options.

Here’s the savings. When Mr. Hurd came on board, it was almost just coincidence that Charles Phillips, President till that Friday, stepped down. As one of the 25 richest guys, Charles clocked in at $30.1 Million. So, even assuming that Hurd’s package is worth, say $20 Million, Larry saved the company at least $10 Million. This is great because it lowers the three rich wise men down to about $45,600 per hour and that’s a 9.5% cost reduction for Oracle! I don’t know about you, but these cost savings can have a direct impact on the company’s bottom line. I tell you, it tugs at the heart!

0 comments:

Post a Comment